AMPS was established in 1995 as one of Gurgaon’s pioneer schools imbibing the Montessori philosophy and method by Lalita Trehan, renowned educator trained in the Montessori method from the United States. It has since grown to be a full-fledged CBSE affiliated Senior Secondary School imparting quality education to over 1000 students. In the Montessori wing, growing minds between the ages of 2½ years to 6 years of age develop freely within a prepared and stimulating environment under the able guidance of Montessori trained teachers. The School considers these to be the most formative years in the education of a child. Fully-equipped Montessori classrooms prepare the child for life, giving him/her a solid foundation for academic excellence. The teachers are Montessori trained and creative, nurturing the little ones through innovative techniques using a Montessori approach.
The School also offers an Extended Day Boarding facility for working parents until 6:00 pm and a supplementary education programme for underprivileged children in the evening (Baal sthal).
In 2008, AMPS achieved the distinction of receiving the ISO 9001:2008 Certification for excellence in education, administration and operations.
Profile of Dr. Maria Montessori
Dr. Maria Montessori was an Italian physician, educator, and innovator, acclaimed for her educational method that builds on the way children naturally learn.
She opened the first Montessori school - Casa dei Bambini or Children’s House - in Rome on January 6, 1907. Subsequently, she traveled the world and wrote extensively about her approach to education, attracting many devotees. There are now more than 22,000 Montessori schools in at least 110 countries worldwide.
Maria Montessori was born on August 31, 1870, in the provincial town of Chiaravalle, Italy (close to the Adriatic coast). Her father was a financial manager for a state-run industry. Her mother was raised in a family that prized education. She was well-schooled and an avid reader - unusual for Italian women of that time. The same thirst for knowledge took root in young Maria, and she immersed herself in many fields of study before creating the educational method that bears her name.
On Her Contribution to Education
“It is not true,” says Dr. Montessori, “that I invented what is called the Montessori Method. I have studied the child, I have taken what the child has given me and expressed it, and that is what is called the Montessori Method.
Unique Features of Our Programme
The Montessori Wing of our school aims to help the child in many ways by pursuing his/her individual interests so that he/she gains enthusiasm for learning, which is the key to becoming a truly educated person.
• A personalized approach in which each child is respected as an individual, he/she discovers the joy of learning, sharing and friendship.
• A totally prepared environment awaits the absorbent mind of the child. Each piece of Montessori apparatus is designed to give the child a new experience and to develop a specific concept.
• Emphasis is laid on understanding concepts and learning skills rather than cramming facts. The different learning styles of our little ones along with the individual pace of learning is kept in mind in observance of the uniqueness of each student.
• Freedom of movement and speech is stressed in order to assist each child’s potential for physical, social, emotional, intellectual & spiritual growth.
• A low ‘Student-Teacher’ ratio is maintained to enable the Teachers to observe and work at the child’s level of readiness.
• The Teacher acts as a catalyst and facilitator. She/he is trained to be a keen observer and is able to direct and guide the child.
• Montessori children are generally characterized by their self-discipline, self-knowledge, independence and enthusiasm for learning.
• To achieve all round personality development, the child will have daily opportunities for individual work, group activities, cooperative play and interaction with other children and teachers.
• Our young ones also benefit from lush green lawns, a sizeable Nature Park and a Vegetable Garden.